Monday, April 17, 2006

Match Report - Apr 15, 2006

Final Score: 3-4 ( Peter [2], Tony; William's Team mates [4])

Players: Chai Liang, Chee Hua, Danial, Daniel, David, Francis, Hai Yee, Peter, Steven, Tony, Ah Joon, Edmond, Mike, Yew Min, Wilson

The Game: Banking on the success of past few friendly game victories, we never really hesitate when we were called upon again for another challenge by Hamdan's friend. This time, however, we were up against many surprises.

The first surprise was the average age of our opponent. On first look, our side were the younger lot. I had expected a younger side from them after the initial contact with the other side's 'manager'.

The second surprise was their fitness and skill. Age aside, they had less players on the bench but most of them held out through the whole game without showing any sign of exhaustion. They played their offsides well against us, both offensively and defensively. And their strikers ran well and fast. I was left chasing dust many times.

I believe this is the time our competence is really tested. Our strikers were caught many many times for offside, I lost count. But I must admit we really played our heart out. Tony played so hard he earned himself the only yellow card of the day.

But that was no surprise, the real third surprise was that Tony did not miss, scoring his only chance that day. Peter took his opportunities well too scoring 2 goals. But alas, the final goal came late and we were left trailing with 3-4 scoreline when the final whistle was blown.

If only we have learnt from the goals made against us early and kept it in check before they scored another 3 in similar fashion.... If only we had cleared the ball that rebounded off Johnny before they got another second chance to shoot it in... If only the referee hadn't blown the whistle 15min early...

Final word from William "Good game, perhaps I will arrange another different team next we play". Hopefully, by then we have learnt something from the day's experience. Nevertheless, good job to all who played.

Injury: A real taste of defeat

~ End of report ~


No comments: