Final Score:
3-3
David 2, Peter (Pen)
Ann Hoe, Chai Liang, Edmond
Players:
We have Hai Yee (Choong Wei 2nd half), Daniel, Chee Hua and Steven as defenders. Midfielders David, Rudy, Hamdan, and Choong Wei (Ajis 2nd Half). Striker Tony, Peter. Keeper Johnny.
Francis and Chai Liang played for black. The other black players: Boon Huat, Mike, Andrew, Edmond, Ann Hoe, Yew Min, David Ong, Ah Joon and Jufri.
The Game:
Chee Hua, Francis, Steven, Tony and Chai Liang did come early for cross-shoot session. Somehow, it was believed that Steven overdone his practice, leaving him tired for the game itself. The additional sleep out of the early morning Liverpool game postponement did little help to his fitness. Neither did the banana do any help.
First goal came from Ann Hoe, after a goal box confusion and after a bad header clearance from Daniel. A ball-to-hand on Chai Liang let Peter to score equaliser from the penalty box. David Sim single handedly, dribble pass Chai Liang and Francis to score against half sleeping Boon Huat. Chai Liang then scored the equaliser. Towards the end, Edmond added to the goal tally, before David Sim repeat his feat again to score the equaliser in the final minute.
My plan today was to put up a good defence against the red by playing black with Francis. It does some damage to the red attacking force. And, the defence and midfield crumbled.
What went wrong?
I do admit that Francis and me did stop a lot of ball today before it reached Tony or Peter. I cannot remember much shot taken from either Tony or Peter against the black. Can I say that when we played against black the win was largely due to poor defensive error from the black?
Midfield crumbled due to the big O absence again. When Chee Hua attempted to man-mark Jufri, the other defence failed to move up with ball flow. Steven was too tired to move up for support. When the attacking midfield failed to return we suffered the mid field absence again.
On the other hand when I played for the black I get chances to move up to more than midfield level. That's when I get cue from Francis that he will cover me at the back. It works to some extent that I even managed to score a goal.
At midfield, Rudy tried to dribble too much and when pressured there is little support. He lost many balls that way. Remember the David Ong (henceforth called DO) syndrome? Someone remind him please. Same for David Sim. Although he did good with the 2 goals.
I am not very clear of the positions played by the red. But was informed than Choong Wei played out of position when playing defence. Same for David at midfield. Be mindful, get back to position as soon as you can.
As for my goal, it wasn't really my intention to score actually as I was shouting for David Ong to pass to centre, he misunderstood me and pass to me instead when he saw me shouting and running towards him. So when the ball came, things got very fast and before I knew it I already shot one pass Johnny. At least it was clear that I cancelled out the penalty I had given earlier.
I like to point out one important thing. Many times me and Francis intercepted ball because you players waited for the ball. I got a few from David, from Choong Wei, from Peter and from Tony as well. Do not wait. I was able to do that because I could run fast. Perhaps there were not many fast players in the black side previously that it did not occurred to you? Do not wait for ball!
It became a fact that we (red) always concede goal in the first 20 minutes. Why? I put it to our inability to calm down. Secondly, poor clearances that did little help.
From my side I could see many clearances were poorly taken. Either the kick or header simply went to midfield that has no red players. Can we always be aware of the positions of our other players before the ball come to us? So that when we clear ball, we know for certain where to kick or head to. This can be good for counter-attacking. Think about it. Otherwise, clear the ball out of play so that we could re-group.
Also, I shouted a lot when I played for the black. But did anyone of you shout? Maybe some of you did. I could not hear from my side. If not someone please do that. Shout directions like what I did to David Ong.
Next week, Francis and me will probably be back to our position in the red team. Understand from David, some of the midfielders who was absent today, will be back because of alternate Saturday work.
Someone please offer any other explanation? Any suggestion to improve? Please share.
Casualty:
Hai Yee - groin
Prepayment Accounting (this part for my own note):
just in case you curious, i am deducting our appearance fees from the field booking i paid.
0
Note: we got the fields for whole of February as well.
Saturday, January 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks Peter. Points noted. Glad we can share.
Firstly the issue about lending players, we have to be fair to lend and borrow. Just like they lend us Johnny for goal, we have to return the favour. They had lend us Yew Min before. Although there were times we do not welcome certain players but we have to accept and play. No doubt this time we had given them too good players.
For us to lend players, it was mostly on volunteer basis. Francis and me volunteered this time. Also, the idea initially was to put up a balance team on both sides so that the game do not turn out to be one sided. Did we tilt the balance over too much to black?
Secondly the move was to test our team under extreme circumstances, in this case, like "what if Francis and me cannot make it for the game". The team should be able to reshuffle to fill the gap.
Because of this today, we saw how we fared under such circumstances. We get to test out players in a couple of positions. We also saw the strength and weakness of each players in varied positions.
Thirdly, remember when I once said that we can only improve when put against strong team? Never mind we 'lost' but if we can go home and learn from mistakes, it will be a good test.
If we had our strong defence and we beat them convincingly with big margin, can we go back home and say our team is good? No because the black team's weakness is their defence! We cannot improve that way. We should win playing against good team.
I admit it does feel sore when we should have won. But I hope we learnt some valuable lessons. But the true sore point is "how" we failed.
Perhaps we should not have given the black 2 of our key defence players. But Francis and me playing against the red should not be the true reason we lost. Instead we should ponder on why we failed. Remember both sides have 11 players?
We failed to fit in reshuffled positions. We failed because of tactical mistakes as pointed out (midfield black hole, defence lapse, unable to fit in, poor communication, fitness, etc)
Given, the black have VERY strong midfield - Edmond, Yew Min, Ann Hoe, and David Ong. But we have our David, Rudy, Hamdan, Ajis and Choong Wei. I would have assume we are almost balance up.
In fact during second half when Ajis replace Hai Yee, The black was short of a player when Mike had to leave. So it was 11 red vs 10 black. On this fact alone, all the more we should not be on losing side. We crumbled in this second half.
As pointed out our problem lies as follows:
1. We did not close in
2. Poor aerial challenge
3. Defence positioning in tandem
4. Midfield blackhole
5. Over-dribble
6. Waiting for ball
7. Lost our cool (calmness)
It is one of those days we played badly. We should patched up our weaknesses.
Hi all! The blog seems to be doing its job - I feel like I'm back in St. Wilfred again! NOT!
Given the deluge of comments, I also like to contribute: Its been said that the mark of great teams is to play badly and still win. So we played badly, but we didn't lose - that means we have, at least, the makings of a great team!!
But of course, a truly great team needs to win. That means commitment and commitment means sacrifice. That means celibacy the night before!!
Thank you and let me know if my suggestions work.
Post a Comment